This year, the Economic Summit focused on the future of manufacturing in our region as we look to highlight areas of progress and identify opportunities for collaboration region-wide. The Summit brought together a diverse group of leaders in the field and cross-industry panels to discuss efforts to strengthen the manufacturing sector. This Summit and the ensuing discussions have the goal of fostering a stronger economy and lowering unemployment in our region.
Speakers, moderators and panelists included:
- Congresswoman Cheri Bustos, U.S. House of Representatives
- Steven Bahls, President, Augustana College
- Jay Williams, U.S. Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Economic Development, U.S. Economic Development Administration
- Dr. Lawrence Schook, Vice-President of Research, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Dr. Dean Bartles, Executive Director, Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute
- Dr. David Boulay, President, Illinois Manufacturing Excellence Center
- Dr. Rena Cotsones, Associate Vice President for Engagement and Innovation Partnerships, Northern Illinois University
- John Eash, Director, F/A-18 Production & Ramp Operations, Boeing Company
- Mary Rose Hennessy, Executive Director, University of Illinois Business Innovation Services
Congresswoman Bustos will be hosting regional roundtable discussions in Rockford, Peoria and the Quad Cities to develop specific recommendations for collective action. The roundtable discussions will take place this winter. In the coming weeks we will provide additional details on our website at bustos.house.gov/economic-summit.
It was hosted by Augustana College on Thursday, September 25, 2014.