During the week of September 23, 2014, tradesmen representing 10 Union Trades, along with the City of Peoria Inspections Department and a safety booth, assembled at Exposition Gardens for the 8th Construction Industry Career Expo. Their goal was to educate over 1,000 thirteen and fourteen year old students about the various career opportunities available within the construction Trades. Over 100 high school students also participated as guides.
The Expo provides students the opportunity to experience hands-on activities from each of the Trades represented. During the week long Expo, students from 43 schools spent a half-day rotating through the booths. Union Trades represented this year include:
- Bricklayers Local #6; IBEW (Electricians) Local #34
- Laborers JATC/LECET
- Mid-Central Illinois Regional Council of Carpenters/JATC
- Plasterers & Cement Masons Local #18
- I.U.O.E. (Operating Engineers) Local #649
- Sheet Metal Workers Local #1
- Plumbers Local #63
- Steamfitters Local #353
Also in attendance were the City of Peoria Inspections Department and the Safety Booth.
Congresswoman, Cheri Bustos, attended the event and spoke with all the tradesmen and some of the high school guides. Congresswoman Bustos was impressed with the hands-on activities and the different careers available to high school graduates. This collaborative event was supported by:
- Tri-County Construction Labor-Management Council, Inc. (TRICON)
- Education for Employment (EFE) offices from Tazewell and Peoria County
- West Central Illinois Building & Construction Trades Council
- Greater Peoria Contractor and Supplier Association
Additionally the following sponsors: Builders Association of Tazewell County, Central Illinois Chapter of NECA-IBEW Local 34 Quality Connection, Combined Central Illinois Construction Industry Fund, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Peoria Area Office, The Labor Paper, Western Area Career System, and Wise Safety / Reis Environmental helped support the continuation of this annual event.
Chris Kendall, System Director (right)
Peoria Educational Region for Employment and Career Training
Kevin Carter, Executive Director (Left)
Tri-County Construction Labor-Management Council & Peoria Area Labor Management Council
Congresswoman, Cheri Bustos (above)